Archaeological Completion Report Series, Number 20
“Those Beyond the Walls: An Archaeological Examination of Michilimackinac’s Extramural Domestic Settlement, 1760-1781 is number 20 in the Archaeological Completion Report Series. This series, found in 1977, provides a forum for disseminating the results of archaeological research from several sites administered by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission (MISPC), but also the results of more specialized studies resulting from larger scale analysis of the extensive archaeological collection.
In 1971, the Michilimackinac Visitor’s Center opened under the Mackinac Bridge. Although the area of the building had been disturbed by the construction of the bridge in the 1950s, not all the proposed parking area had been inspected. From 1970 through 1973, MISPC staff archaeologist Lyle M. Stone directed archaeological excavations in the parking lot area. These excavations revealed parts of three colonial houses, which were part of a village outside the fort’s palisade walls, as well as portions of a Middle Woodland village, dating to approximately A.D. 550. Stone wrote a report on the structural features but did not complete additional analysis before departing for career opportunities in Arizona.
While a graduate student at Western Michigan University, James Dunnigan worked on the Michilimackinac archaeology crew from 2014 through 2018. Because of his deep ties to Mackinac, he wanted to research a Mackinac topic for his master’s thesis project. This volume is the result.”