The tower tour is a guided experience that takes about 15 minutes. Tours of the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse tower take place at scheduled times throughout the day. Space is limited to 10 people per tour, and tower tour times are assigned by the Guest Services Representative in the Fog Signal Building. Tours of the tower are offered at no charge, but are not guaranteed with admission. Tours are offered throughout the day.
Safety is the number one priority at Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse. Climbing the tower includes a 51-step wrought-iron staircase, navigating through a narrow opening, and scaling an 11-rung ladder to reach the top. With that in mind, we have developed a set of guidelines to ensure everyone has an enjoyable and safe experience climbing the tower at Old Mackinac Point.
– Securely-fastened shoes must be worn at all times. No thong-type flip-flops or open back sandals.
– Hands must be kept free at all times. No carrying of belongings or children.
– All participants must be more than four feet tall.
– You must be physically able to make the climb and fit through a narrow opening.
– Persons with heart conditions or similar physical ailments, fear or heights or fear of tight spaces should not climb the tower.
Click here for a pdf version of the tower tour guidelines.
About Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
Hours and Admission