Mackinac History: A Continuing Series of Illustrated Vignettes, Volume III, Leaflet #6
The Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the Young-Scherer Cottage in 1944 for $15,000 for use as an official residence for the Governor of Michigan. Until 1969, this was the only state-owned residence for Michigan Governor’s. The house was officially opened for use by governors in time for the Thirty-Seventh Annual Governor’s Conference of July 1-4, 1945. Since then, the following governors have enjoyed the house with their families: Harry F. Kelly (1943-1946), Kim Sigler (1947-1948), G. Mennen Williams (1949-1960), John B. Swainson (1961-1962), George Romney (1963-1969), William G. Milliken (1969-1983), James J. Blanchard (1983-1991), John M. Engler (1991-2002), Jennifer M. Granholm (2003-2010), Rick Snyder (2011-2018), and Gretchen Whitmer (2019-).
The vignette was originally published in 2002 and is currently in its fourth revised edition, 2013.