Marquette Park and the Father Marquette Statue
For decades the area below the fort was used as a garden for growing vegetables. Soon after the fort was closed in 1895, the Park Commission transformed this area into a park in honor of Father Jacque Marquette. By 1907 landscaping was completed and, two years later, the statue by Gaetano Trentanove was added erected at the center of the park.
Michigan Governor’s Summer Residence
Competed in 1902 on a park leasehold, this palatial summer cottage was purchased by the Park Commission in 1944 and offered to the governor as an official summer residence.
Located on the north parade ground behind Fort Mackinac, the Scout Barracks was completed in 1934 as a Civilian Conservation Corps project. The Scout Barracks houses Boy or Girl Scout troops from all over Michigan on a weekly basis. Young people serve as guides in Fort Mackinac and other buildings. The program began in 1929 with a group of Eagle Scouts from southwest Michigan, among them future President Gerald R. Ford.
This memorial, on the bluff to the east of the fort, to novelist and travel writer Constance Fenimore Woolson was erected in 1916. The bronze plaque and granite benches are in a lovely shaded area on the brow of the bluff overlooking the town and harbor. Woolson summered on Mackinac Island beginning in 1855 and set her novel Anne on the island.
Located on the west end of the East Bluff, the Cass Monument recalls the distinguished career of Lewis Cass, who served as governor of Michigan Territory, U.S. Secretary of War, Secretary of State and U.S. Senator from Michigan.
This natural wonder of Mackinac was used as a hideout by Alexander Henry following the June 2, 1763 attack on Fort Michilimackinac during Pontiac’s Uprising. Henry was one of the few British survivors and was taken by his friend, Ojibwa Chief Wawatam, to Mackinac Island to protect him. Henry reported that the cave was filled with human skulls and bones.
The three island cemeteries are located on Garrison Road. The oldest is the Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery, with the earliest interments probably occurring in the 1820s. As early as 1852, island residents began burying their dead near the post cemetery and moving burials from the old Catholic and Protestant cemeteries in town.
During the War of 1812, the British constructed a small fort on the highest point of the island, to better protect Fort Mackinac. Originally named Fort George, it was renamed by the Americans, following their return in 1815. The Americans continued to man the outpost for a few years, but eventually abandoned it. In 1934 a reconstruction, carried out by the Works Progress Administration and based on original plans, was completed. It was replaced by the current version in 2015.
The 1814 Battlefield, now the home of Wawashkamo Golf Course, is located on British Landing Road. Here Americans attempted to recapture the island from the British, late in the War of 1812. The British won the battle, and only returned Mackinac Island to the United States following the Treaty of Ghent the following year.
Here British soldiers landed during their successful attack and capture of Fort Mackinac on July 16 and 17, 1812.
Located on Lake Shore Boulevard. below Arch Rock, Dwightwood Springs is the most famous of the natural flows of clear, cold water that dot the island. The pergola and benches were donated in memory of Dwight Wood, son of Edwin O. Wood, an early summer cottager and member of the Mackinac Island State Park Commission.