Excavations have been carried out at sites within Mackinac Island State Park since the 1960s. The 1965 University of Michigan Mackinac Island project excavated part of the Custer Road dump, used by soldiers at Fort Mackinac. Artifacts from that project can be seen on the Fort Mackinac artifact page.
In 2002, the Wawashkamo Restoration and Preservation Fund sponsored an archaeological survey of the Wawashkamo Golf Course, site of the 1814 battle for Mackinac Island, by at team from the Center for Historic and Military Archaeology. Learn more about the project here.
The massive 2011-12 Mackinac Island Airport reconstruction project uncovered part of an early twentieth century dump. Learn more about the project here.
Click here to go back to the archaeology home page.