Archaeology played a key role in the development of Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park. Three local historians/amateur archaeologists, Ellis and Mary Olson and Margaret Lentini, discovered the site in 1972. Excavations carried out in 1973, 1974, and 1975 revealed the remains of the dam, a Campbell-era (ca. 1790-1810) house and separate workshop, and a Dousman-era (ca.1820-1840) house and forge combined in one building. Additional excavations carried out in 1979 and 1980 completely exposed the dam. Between 1984 and 1994, the excavation of the Dousman-era Millwright’s House was completed and additional work was done on the Campbell House and two unidentified structures in the historic area.
Ford, Thomas B. 1979 Archaeological Investigations at the Mill Creek (Filbert) Site. Submitted to the MISPC as Partial Fulfillment of Contract #LRP98, Mill Creek Development, Coastal Management Program, Division of Land Resource Programs, DNR, State of Michigan. On file, Petersen Center.
1980 Archaeological Investigations at the Mill Creek (Filbert) Site: 1980 Season. Unpublished report on file, Petersen Center.
Kempton, Karen L. 1986 Archaeological Investigations at Old Mill Creek: An Early 19th Century Residence at the Straits of Mackinac. Unpublished M.A. thesis, Department of Anthropology, University of South Florida, Tampa.
Martin, Patrick E. 1985 The Mill Creek Site and Pattern Recognition in Historical Archaeology. Archaeological Completion Report Series 10. MISPC.
Scott, Elizabeth M. 1994 Looking at Gender and More: Feminist Archaeology and a 19th- Century Millwright’s House. Paper presented at the 27th Conference on Historical and Underwater Archaeology, Vancouver, British Columbia. On file, Petersen Center.