The Mackinac State Historic Parks Artist-In-Residence Program is designed to promote and encourage the creation of artistic works inspired by the history, natural wonders, and beauty of Mackinac Island. The residencies are available to writers, composers, sculptures, and visual artists including photographers.
The 2 and 3 week residencies are available beginning in early June and continuing through early October (see schedule below).
The resident artist is housed in the newly-remodeled second floor of the Mackinac Island Visitor’s Center, formerly the 1915 Mackinac Island Coast Guard Station. The residence, which overlooks the Straits of Mackinac, includes a studio apartment with one full size bed with bedding and towels provided, private bath and shower, kitchen with stove, sink, and full-size refrigerator, washer and dryer, WIFI, and basic kitchen and cleaning supplies. This is a historic building and the second floor is only accessible by stairway. This is a non-smoking facility and no pets are allowed. The residence is provided rent free.
There is a large adjoining work/gathering space that is available by appointment for the artist when not in use by park. The artist also has access, with previous arrangement, to the work space in the lower level of the Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum for project work and/or workshops.
The artist is asked to provide two public presentations (workshop, lecture, reading, demonstration, etc.) during the residency and contribute one piece of their work to Mackinac State Historic Parks within 12 months. The artist is responsible for transportation to and from Mackinac Island and should bring all personal equipment, supplies, and food. There is a grocery store located across the street. Check-in is on Monday between 3 and 5 pm; check out is on Sunday by 12 noon. No housekeeping is provided during the residency and artist is responsible for leaving the residence clean and in good order.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019 season.
A complete application includes the following items:
1. Applicants must be over 21 years old.
2. A cover letter including a statement of intent for the residency including a description of the proposed public presentation.
3. A resume of no more than 2 pages (four copies)
4. Contact information for two references.
5. Appropriate samples of the artist’s work. a. For visual artists, up to 10 images on a CD, DVD, or jump drive. Use the file name to label the images and provide a separate list with title, medium, and size of work. (one copy) b. For composers, a CD or DVD recording. (one copy) c. For writers, four copies of a brief (6-page maximum) excerpt, short story, poem, essay, or other work.
6. Brief description of proposed public presentations.
7. List of preferred dates for the residency.
8. Application deadline is January 31, 2019. Notification of acceptance will be in early March. Please include application fee of $25.
9. Please send applications to:
A jury of representatives from Mackinac State Historic Parks, the Mackinac Island Arts Council, and the Mackinac Island Community Foundation will select from the pool of applicants. Selections will be made solely on the basis of merit and how
their work can advance the program’s goal of encouraging the creation of artistic works inspired by the history, natural wonders, and beauty of Mackinac Island.
Residency Schedule for 2019