Fifty-page, full-color publication engages the reader through vivid photographs and colorful text, taking them on a journey through the construction and life of the lighthouse built near the shores of two Great Lakes at Old Mackinac Point, located in Mackinaw City , Michigan . The story begins in 1671 with a brief history of Old Mackinac Point when the Straits of Mackinac was the focus of European activity, and then journeys through the volution of lighthouses of the Great Lakes.
Old Mackinac Lighthouse was constructed in 1890, and Brisson, following years of solid historical research, highlights the light station’s many stages of development from 1889 to1957. Includes over 80 historic and modern images, maps of Straits of Mackinac lighthouses and shipwrecks, detailed notes and an index.
Note: Text is a revised and expanded version originally published as Mackinac History “Old Mackinac Point Light Station” 16-page leaflet