The Michigan Governor’s Summer Residence Vignette
Mackinac History, A Continuing Series of Illustrated Vignettes Volume III / Leaflet #6
From the book: “During the late 1930s and into the years of World War II many Mackinac homes were victims of poor economic conditions and wartime disruption of family life and travel. Many island cottages fell into disuse and lack of repair. In 1944 the concern for the condition of the Scherer cottage – a prominent island landmark located close to Fort Mackinac – and the long-time interest in an official governor’s residence came together, with the support of the Michigan legislature. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission was authorized by the state legislature to purchase the Young-Scherer cottage. … At the time of the purchase, this was the only state-owned residence for Michigan governors. …”
This vignette traces the history of one of Mackinac Island’s grandest cottages. Built as a private residence, the cottage was later purchased and converted for use as the summer residence of the Governor of Michigan.
Facts regarding Governor’s Summer Residence: built in 1901-1902 by Chicago attorney Lawrence A Young. The architect was Frederick W Perkins. Contractor was Patrick Doud. Interior is Georgia Yellow Pine, exterior is Michigan White Pine. It has three stories, 11 bedrooms, 9-1/2 baths and a basement. Prisoners were originally brought to the Island to help with the renovations in 1944. In 1975 it was registered on Michigan Register of Historic Places. In 1997 it was named to the National Register of Historic Places.