House D of the Southeast Rowhouse: Excavations at Fort Michilimackinac, 1989-1997
Archaeological Completion Report Series Number 17
From the book: “The House D site was a unit of the Southeast Row House within the palisade walls of Fort Michilimackinac. It is known as House D because it is the fourth house counting from the east, where excavations began in 1976. The House D project fits into the larger framework of ongoing research, reconstruction and interpretation at Michilimackinac. The archaeological analysis had three main components, architecture, diet and artifacts. These are discussed in more detail in the Methods section.
The report begins with an overview of Fort Michilimackinac and its history. This is followed by a brief discussion of the methods used during the project. A review of the people known or believed to have lived in House D, based on both documentary and archaeological research, follows. Then the general stratigraphy of the site is presented. Descriptions of key cultural features from each era, with maps of the structural remains encountered come next. Once the context has been set, the artifacts recovered are described. Results are compared with those from other areas excavated … and with a generalized model for fur trade sites.”
The final report on the excavation of a 1730’s-1781 rowhouse unit at Michilimackinac. Known occupants of the house include French metis-traders and British military personnel. The report includes numerous artifact illustrations, biographical information on the residents, and descriptions and maps of architect features.