It’s time for another deep dive into the collection!
One of the more unusual archaeological projects to take place at Fort Mackinac was an excavation that took place under a standing structure. The main question that excavation was looking to answer? Who built the Officer’s Wood Quarters, and when was it built?
Mackinac State Historic Parks maintains more than 100 buildings. Most are public, like the buildings inside Colonial Michilimackinac and Fort Mackinac. Others are behind the scenes, like the Petersen Center. Learn more about the administrative office of MSHP here.
Robert Campbell constructed a water-powered sawmill at Mill Creek about 1790, being the first of its kind in northern Michigan. Prior to the mill, trees were turned into lumber entirely with hand tools for more than 100 years at the Straits of Mackinac.
The earliest archaeological excavation at Fort Mackinac took place at one of its earliest structures, the British well.
Arch Rock is Mackinac Island’s most famous and spectacular limestone formation. A century ago, curious visitors could find two additional arches, also celebrated for their natural beauty and rich traditions.
Mackinac State Historic Parks accessioned 247 objects into its permanent collection and archives. Learn about a few of them here.
It’s time for another deep dive into the collection! Today Dr. Lynn Evans, Curator of Archaeology, shows us on Orvietan Lid.
As the calendar flips to the new year, Mackinac State Historic Parks staff are busy readying new tours, exhibits, publications, and more.
Winter on Mackinac Island is a special time of year.
The holiday traditions of the 17th and 18th centuries are alive at A Colonial Christmas at Colonial Michilimackinac.
It’s time for another dive into our collections!