|Originally the farm of Ambrose Davenport, who came to Mackinac Island as a soldier in 1796, these 80 acres were purchased in 1855 by Gurdon Hubbard. Hubbard, who came to Mackinac Island from Vermont to work as a clerk for the American Fur Company, was dispatched by the company to lower Lake Michigan. There he became a pioneer of Chicago. Wealthy and influential, he nonetheless fondly remembered his days on the island. He purchased the Davenport Farm and constructed a summer cottage in 1870. Beset with financial troubles in the 70s and 80s, and knowing of the clamor for cottage lots on the island, in 1882 he divided his parcel up into "Hubbard's Annex to the National Park." The lots were individually sold and the first cottages were completed. This is one of the several plat maps in the collection, printed at the time to help promote the development.
W 24 H 18 inches
Wendell-Fenton Archival Collection (MIC-2)