Grand Hotel was constructed by the Michigan Central Railroad, Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad, and Detroit and Cleveland Steamship Navigation Company in 1887. It was not uncommon for railroads, in particular, to become major investors in resort properties in order to encourage people to travel. The first few seasons were rocky, but the hotel rocketed to success in the 1890s, becoming one of the chief Mackinac Island landmarks and icons. It remained open even during the Great Depression and remains one of the few Victorian wooden resort hotels still operating in America.
Dining at Grand Hotel is one of the key features of a stay. Over the past century and a quarter the menu offerings and china patterns have not changed. Specimens of early china are rare. The Park Commission owns the only two "PGH" examples known to exist.
Planters Hotel/Grand Hotel Dinner Plate, Syracuse China Co., ca. 1910
Grand Hotel Salad Plate, Syracuse China Co., 1949 (2005.54.1)
On exhibit in Mackinac: An Island Famous In These Regions at Fort Mackinac.