Hannah White painted this view of Mackinac Island on velvet cloth in about 1830. Hannah taught at the Protestant Mackinaw Mission School operated by her sister Amanda’s husband, Reverend William Ferry. Despite its unusual perspective the painting accurately depicts the island during that period. Individual buildings, such as Mission Church, Ste. Anne’s Church and Fort Mackinac are clearly identifiable.
Paint on velvet cloth, 19” x 12.5” (1997.00.27)
The painting is on exhibit in Mackinac: An Island Famous In These Regions at Fort Mackinac. A framed reproduction of the painting is available for purchase.