Preliminary Report 2002 Archaeological Field Season
|The 2002 excavation was a continuation of work carried out in 1966 and 1998-2001 on the easternmost unit of the south-southwest rowhouse within the palisade wall. The field season ran from June 10 to August 24, with wrap-up work continuing through September 11. Dr. Lynn Evans, MSHP Curator of Archaeology, directed the excavation, with the assistance of field supervisor Yolanda Rico. Conrad Latuszek, Janie Bloomfield, Cameron Gokee and Kendra Kennedy were the crew members. Fourteen volunteers provided a combined 370 hours of screening and excavation. Elizabeth Wolfram provided regular public interpretation.|
In the north, our goal was to finish defining the north wall trench (Feature 981) of the house in 270L30 q3 and 270L40 q4 (see attached map for the location of all quads mentioned). Janie Bloomfield completed 270L30 q3, which was begun last year. She excavated four substantial wall posts in the trench. Cameron Gokee completely excavated 270L40 q4. The wall trench was well defied in this quad, but with a gap in the posts, suggesting that this was the location of the door. Both of these quads also contained exterior yard deposit, which yielded some large artifacts indicating refuse disposal. These included the base of a wine bottle, two awls and an iron keyhole escutcheon. Unfortunately, the yard suffered a substantial washout as a result of heavy rains in July. A small pre-contact feature (F. 1008), containing a stone bead and stone flakes, was excavated at the bottom of 270L40 q4.
Along the east, our goal was to continue excavating the east wall trench (Feature 994) and locate the hearth. Although quite a bit of soil was excavated in this area, these features proved elusive. Lynn Evans completed 290L20 q3, which was begun several seasons ago. The wall trench was fairly well defined by the presence of clay, but ended at a depth of 2.41’ below datum, somewhat higher than expected. One hypothesis is that the bottom of the wall trench collapsed into a modern trench for the waterline now visible in the quad to the south (290L20 q1). This modern disturbance also may account for the lack of definition of the trench in 280L20 q1, where excavation was continued by Conrad Latuszek this summer. An unexpected “early modern” posthole disturbance was discovered at the interface of these two quads when the 280L20 datum pedestal collapsed this spring. It contained a Dominion of Canada Victoria penny. The date is obscured, but is between 1876 and 1901.
Kendra Kennedy opened 280L20 q3 just to the north of the two previously discussed quads. She spent most of the summer excavating a thick 1781 demolition layer. The upper British occupation deposits, excavated late in the season, contain a great deal of clay, but no recognizable architectural features.
Excavation continued on two interior quads on the western edge (1966 backfill) of the excavation. Janie Bloomfield and volunteers completed 270L40 q2. Lynn Evans and volunteers excavated in 290L40 q4. Nothing of unusual interest was found in either quad.
The most interesting area this summer was the root cellar. The goal for this season was to define the north and west walls of the cellar. Yolanda Rico excavated in this area (270L30 q1), and found the posts (Feature 1009) and an outer stone lining (Feature 1010) that define this portion of the cellar. Many interesting artifacts were recovered from the cellar, including an intact, two-tined, bone-handled fork, an offset awl, barrel band fragments, gun parts, a button, unusual bone beads, a fishhook, and a partially completed antler handle. The root cellar is estimated to continue two to three feet down.
Cataloging and analysis of this season’s finds will take place this winter. All interpretations offered here are preliminary, subject to further excavation and analysis.
Lynn L.M. Evans