For 65 years, four generations of lighthouse keepers and their families lived at Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse and helped to ensure the safety of vessels in the Straits of Mackinac. Established in 1889, the stations fog signal went into operation in 1890 and the lighthouse was completed in 1892. The lights on the newly completed Mackinac Bridge made the lighthouse unnecessary, and it was decommissioned in 1957. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the property in 1960 and incorporated it into surrounding Michilimackinac State Park. It served as the gallery building for Michilimackinac Maritime Park form 1972 to 1990. Restoration of the property to its circa 1910 appearance has been underway since 2000 and the lighthouse reopened to the public in 2004.
For more information, please use the following links: