The Benjamin Blacksmith Shop was located on the west end of Market Street (just past Cadotte Avenue, on the south side on “Benjamin Hill.”). Originally known as “Star Blacksmith Shop,” it was sold by William Jackson to Robert Benjamin and Frank Cummins in 1885. In 1900 Robert’s sixteen year old son Herbert took over operation of the shop when Robert was elected Mackinac County sheriff and moved to St. Ignace. Herbert continued to offer the variety of services his father had, including the repair of iron objects, small manufacturing jobs, shoeing horses, and repairing carriages. By the middle 20th century his services had expanded to that of a small machine shop with the repair of yacht motors and lawn mowers. As autos had been banned on the island by the turn of the twentieth century, shoeing horses always remained part of the operation. Herbert ran the shop until 1965.