|Fort Mackinac was founded during the American Revolution. Believing Fort Michilimackinac at what is now Mackinaw City was too vulnerable to American attack, the British moved the fort to Mackinac Island in 1780. Americans took control in 1796. In July 1812, in the first land engagement of the War of 1812 in the United States , the British captured the fort. In a bloody battle in 1814 the Americans attempted but failed to retake the fort. It was returned to the United States after the war. The fort remained active until 1895. During these years Mackinac Island was transformed from a center of the fur trade into a major summer resort.|
The stone ramparts, the south sally port and the Officer’s Stone Quarters are all part of the original fort built over 225 years ago. The other buildings in the fort are of more recent origin, dating from the late 1790s to 1885. The buildings have been restored to how they looked during the final years of the fort’s occupation. Interpreters depict U. S. Army soldiers from this same period, dressed in distinctive Prussian-inspired uniforms.
For more information, please use the following links:
- A Brief History of Fort Mackinac
- Fort Mackinac Chronology
- Fort Mackinac Archaeology
- Fort Mackinac as a Civil War Prison
- Visit Fort Mackinac
- Take a Virtual Tour
- Read about 10-Year-Old Harold Dunbar Corbusier
Harold kept a diary during his stay in 1883-1884 and 1892 at Fort Mackinac on Mackinac Island when his father was the U.S. Army fort doctor.