Department: Park Operations
Position Filled for 2013
Scope of Duties:
This is a seasonal position which serves visitors to Mackinac State Historic Parks by working closely with Mackinac Island State Park Commission airport personnel to ensure safe and efficient service of the Mackinac Island Airport to airport users. The airport is open 12-hours a day, seven days a week during peak summer season. Duties of this position includes communicating with pilots and passengers, assisting with directions, answering questions regarding Mackinac Island and other airports, and recording payment of airport fees. This position will also communicate on a routine basis with Mackinac Island State Park Commission accounting personnel regarding the collection of airport fees. The candidate selected for this position is expected to maintain a professional and courteous manner in regard to attitude, appearance and dress when assisting visitors at the airport. This position will also act as the airport park representative.
Work Location and Schedule:
This position is located at the Mackinac Island Airport on Mackinac Island. Work location may change as park needs dictate. This position works 40-hours per week and generally works five days a week, although the days and hours worked may vary according to park needs. Position will start in May or June and work through September or October (depends on the position hired into and the applicant's availability).
1. Put our visitors first by treating them as respected guests and serving their needs.
2. Assist Mackinac Island State Park Commission airport personnel in the airport terminal office. The Airport Aide will often be the only park employee in the airport office to assist incoming and outgoing airport traffic.
3. Conduct cashiering duties using a cash register and credit card machine, and issue receipts.
4. Answer telephone and use radio to assist pilots with airport advisories, where to park planes and to keep in communication with Mackinac Island State Park Commission personnel.
5. Prepare daily airport usage report for review by Mackinac Island State Park Commission personnel.
6. Conduct minor building and grounds maintenance duties, such as planting and watering flowerbeds, weeding flowerbeds, emptying trash receptacles, trimming grass, sweep sidewalks and other areas as needed.
7. Conduct runway maintenance duties as needed.
8. Clean interior of airport including restrooms and offices, wash windows, vacuum, and change lights.
9. Put up and take down flags.
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be 18 as of first date of employment.
2. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
3. Excellent mathematical skills, including the ability to conduct mathematical functions with or without the use of a calculator.
4. Possess a general working knowledge of tools
5. Excellent organizational skills
6. Previous cashiering experience and experience with credit card machines desired
7. Familiarity with effectively operating a computer
8. Must be able to work effectively with the public and able to handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner
9. Ability to work in an efficient manner without direct supervision; must be comfortable working alone
10. Knowledge of aviation terminology preferred
11. Familiarity with operating a aeronautical advisory unicom radio and walkie-talkie desired, but not required
12. An interest in airport management or aviation is desired, but not required
13. This position will require a drug test (results must be negative) and a criminal records check
This position will involve walking or bicycling to and from the airport (approximately two miles). Stretching and bending are moves commonly made throughout the day by employees in this position. The employee must have the ability to do the following activities, with or without, reasonable accommodation: Frequent lifting, carrying, transporting, loading and unloading of supplies, walking long distances on uneven terrain and up steep inclines in all weather conditions, frequent twisting, bending, stooping, reaching and grasping, sitting and/or standing for long periods of time, walking up and down stairs, and the ability to utilize ferry boat transportation to and from Mackinac Island.
The park maintains a dress code for employees in the public service to promote a productive and safe work environment and to maintain MSHP’s public image. This means no inappropriate hairstyles, jewelry, clothing or fashion statements are allowed. You are required to be in approved park uniform at all times while on duty, which includes the wearing of proper footwear. The park will furnish the employee with the required uniform items which includes shirts, pants, steel toed shoes, jacket and a cap; all items comprising the uniforms must be returned at the end of seasonal employment. Violation of the dress code may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
This position is supervised by the Park Manager for Mackinac Island State Park Commission and does not supervise other park personnel.
General Position Information:
This is a temporary seasonal at-will position which serves at the will of the employer and does not include recall rights or benefits (other than those mandated by governmental laws). This position will expire at the time employment is ended for the season and the employee does not have recall rights to this or any other MSHP position in the future. Specifically, the park is under no obligation to hire the individual in subsequent seasons. The number of weeks and hours worked may vary as park needs dictate. Additional information will be provided upon employment.
Click here to download the application.
All completed applications should be mailed to:
Mackinac State Historic Parks
Attn: Seasonal Employment
P.O. Box 873
Mackinaw City, MI 49701
Questions or cannot print application?
P.O. Box 873
Mackinaw City, MI 49701