Department: Museum Programs
Now accepting applications for the 2014 season
Please note applicants must have previous leadership experience in the Mackinac Island Scout Service Camp.
Interviews will be held in early March. All interested parties need to get applications in by Feb. 10, 2012 to be considered.
Scope of Duties:
The scout coordinator acts as the liaison between the
Work Location and Schedules:
In order to be available for emergencies day or night, the coordinator is required to live in the Scout Barracks on Mackinac Island (housing is provided free of charge). The work location is the Scout Barracks and
1. Put our visitors first by treating them as respected guests and serving their needs.
2. The scout coordinator is responsible for ensuring that visiting scout troops perform guide duty, flag duty, and other service activities that assist Mackinac State Historic Parks. The coordinator ensures that proper uniforms are worn and that scout troops conduct and performance is acceptable according to the rules and regulations in the Mackinac Manual.
3. The coordinator is responsible for communicating to the units any special activities or events. This communication may be by mail or telephone prior to a visit or during the week of service.
4. In consultation with the curator of education and other staff, the coordinator will evaluate each troop at mid-week (Tuesday) and at the end of their stay.
5. The coordinator will care for and maintain the scout barracks, supplies, equipment and adjacent grounds including Greany Grove.
6. The coordinator will annually update the Mackinac Manual by communicating additions, deletions or corrections to the curator of education. These alterations should be completed before the end of September each year.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be 18 years old as of first day of employment
2. Must possess previous leadership experience at the Mackinac Island Scout Service Camp
3. This employee must have strong interpersonal relationship skills and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
4. Must be able to maintain composure during stressful situations
5. Be flexible enough to work with a wide variety of Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops
6. Must have strong organizational skills to coordinate MSHP needs with each individual troop.
7. Knowledge of scouting principles and procedures is required.
This position will involve extensive walking - including walking up and down steps and on uneven terrain. Stretching and bending are moves commonly made throughout the day by the employee in this position. The employee must have the ability to do the following activities, with or without reasonable accommodation: frequent lifting, carrying, transporting, loading and unloading of up to 35 lbs., walking long distances and up steep inclines in all weather conditions, frequent twisting, bending, stooping, reaching and grasping, sitting and/or standing for long periods of time, and the ability to utilize ferry boat transportation to and from Mackinac Island.
The park maintains a dress code for employees in the public service to promote a productive and safe work environment and to maintain MSHP's public image. This means no inappropriate hairstyles, jewelry, clothing or fashion statements are allowed. Specifics are located in the scout coordinator manual. Violation of the dress code may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
The curator of education supervises this position. The scout coordinator does not supervise other employees, but does monitor and review scout troop’s activities and conduct a final evaluation on each attending troop.
General Position Information:
This is a temporary seasonal at-will position which serves at the will of the employer and does not include recall rights or benefits (other than those mandated by governmental laws). This position will expire at the time employment is ended for the season and the employee does not have recall rights to this or any other MSHP position in the future. Specifically, the park is under no obligation to hire the individual in subsequent seasons. The number of weeks and hours worked may vary as park needs dictate. Additional information will be provided upon employment
Click here to download the application.
All completed applications should be mailed to:
Mackinac State Historic Parks
Attn: Seasonal Employment
P.O. Box 873
Mackinaw City, MI 49701
Questions or cannot print application?
P.O. Box 873
Mackinaw City, MI 49701